Saturday, June 5, 2010

Your Tax Dollars At Work

About three or four weeks ago, I got a notice from Unemployment saying that I had misrepresented myself as having been available for work when in fact I had the flu. They said that I therefore owed them $102.25 which had been mistakenly paid to me.

Well, I don't think one should ever get in wrong with unemployment, so I dutifully mailed them a check. Which, by the way, they cashed.

Today I got a letter from Unemployment. It says: "This letter is being sent to advise you that your Unemployment Insurance overpayment balance has been paid back over and above the amount that was due. As a result, you have a credit in the amount of $102.25 that is being returned to you."

Yup. You read that right. First they bill me for $102.25 - and cash the check. Then they tell me that the exact amount they asked me to send them was an overpayment and I can have it back now.

Anyone who can explain this to me is more than welcome to try.

Love, Wendy

No comments: