Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TMI

You know, I think the world as we know it has gotten completely out of hand.

What on earth has become of the notion that one's private life should be kept private? In one day sitting here playing with my computer, I have found out more about a bunch of perfect strangers than I ever want to know about anyone other than a husband or lover. And I assure you, I didn't want to know.

I am already sick and tired (as I believe I've mentioned here) of all the sightings of celebrities stopping just short of actual coitus at the dinner table in a restaurant. And of course, the endless information about who's sleeping with whom.

Now we have people getting all up in arms because their personal sexy messages that they sent from a work-issued cell phone or computer were read by their offices. And even better, we have a story about a teacher who freely admits that after his class, he would lock his classroom door and masturbate in there. And all the teachers having sex with their students or each other...the latter, in one case, in an empty classroom.

WHAT IN HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?

These are adult human beings (well, supposedly adult). Why in the name of all that's holy (and you know, I think I sort of do mean holy) can't they behave like adults and suppress their bodily urges until they get home? If you have partners, do they need such constant reassurance of your love that you must necessarily send them erotic messages all day long to keep them happy? If that's true, you're doing it wrong. If you are on your way to dinner and feel that you can't control yourself at the restaurant, then why on earth don't you carve out some time to screw before dinner? IN PRIVATE. And while I admit that the notion of your boss reading your emails smacks of 1984 and Big Brother is watching you, surely you are not so stupid as to believe this doesn't go on. After all, it's HIS computer. How can anyone in this day and age (note cliche...I'm good at them) believe that ANYTHING on a computer is private? I thought we were all supposed to be so technologically sophisticated by this time.

I personally believe (because, as you will know if you read this blog with any regularity, I am a nut on the subject) that's it's all due to a complete breakdown of decent manners. Mrs. Pat Campbell, an English actress and lover of George Bernard Shaw, once remarked that one could do anything, "as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."

Don't you hear the neighing of a million terrified equines?

Love, Wendy

1 comment:

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

I could not have said it better myself!

Thank you.