Monday, April 13, 2009

Recovering...

Oh, dear. I really, REALLY shouldn't have had so much fun last night. My poor head.

However, dinner was lovely, and you may have the recipe for the potatoes, which is perhaps the easiest thing I've ever done in my life (other than calling the Chinese restaurant). So:

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch rounds
1-1/2 cups creme fraiche, stirred around a bit
1-1/2 cups grated Gruyere
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 400. Make a layer (overlapping them of bit) of potato slices in a heavily buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass dish. Smear it with half the creme fraiche and scatter half the cheese over it. Do it again. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 and then turn it down to 350 for about another 15 or 20 minutes, until everything is all brown and bubbly and you can stick a fork through all the potatoes. Scatter the parsley on top. Eat the hell out of it.

The recipe says it makes 8 servings, but I shouldn't count on any more than 6, if your friends are as piggy with these as mine were. And BOY, is it easy.

I am now going to bed with my hangover. Tomorrow I'll be scintillating for you all, but right now my head hurts.

Love, Wendy

No comments: