Friday, October 14, 2011

Time Got Away From Me Again

Well, I keep meaning to post...doesn't that count for something?

I've been locked into the ambulance-chasing lawyer's office for practically two weeks, which means that the sum total of interesting things that have happened to me is one big fat zero.  Unless, of course, you count the fact that in six days of this guy, I managed not to strangle him...which I consider an enormous achievement, frankly. 

You have no idea.  He's a perfectly nice guy, I have to say, and even (unlike far too many lawyers) actually has a sense of humor.  Most lawyers simply aren't taught these things in law school, you see...evidently moot court and torts class don't have sections devoted to oh, say, Mark Twain (although they ought to).  No, it's his method of working that drives me straight up a wall.

The man has the mind of a butterfly on crack.  He cannot prioritize (I hate that word) his work to save his life.  The result of this is that everything gets half or one qaurter done when he suddenly comes up with another frantic emergency.  Face it, people...everything is NOT an emergency.  A Will in probate is not going to get probated any faster if the letter is written this afternoon instead of this morning.  Or, in fact, tomorrow instead of today.  This guy doesn't do criminal law, so we're not talking about somebody rotting in jail for an extra day.  Anyway, six days of him was WAY too much for flesh and blood to take...which is why I've been avoiding my home computer.

So there.

However, I did get two calls in succession yesterday while I was dozing off over a Stipulation and Final Accounting for Receivership (oh, God help me...I'm talking legalese).  One was from Central Casting, who have suddenly decided they love me again...and I'm doing Law & Order SVU on Monday!  Yay!  And right after that...I mean 15 minutes after I talked to Central Casting...I got a call to do 30 Rock today!  Unfortunately, today's shoot was weather sensitive with a fallback on Monday, and of course I was already booked on Monday.  Damn. 

So today I had a nice long nap, went and got my chin and upper lip waxed (I don't think the elderly billy goat effect is a really good look for me), and am now attempting to talk myself into doing something useful in the house.  That would be organizing the books, of course.  Every single book I own (well, not quite) is on the living room floor because I'm trying to get all the authors together.  It's been like this for weeks now.  The job is intrinsically boring anyway, and then there's the basic problem of runniing across something I haven't read in forever and just saying, well, the hell with it, I'll just read for a while.  I'm managing to organize six books a day before I get sick of the whole thing and curl up with one of them.  At this rate, I'll be moving them off the table for Thanksgiving dinner.

The cats continue to be completely insane...Moon Unit showed me some affection the other day by walking up, looking me in the face, and then nipping me very gently on the eyebrow.  Um, what?

Love, Wendy

1 comment:

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Wendy, good to hear that things are going as well as can be expected in your part of the hood. I laughed out loud with your recent post and am so sorry that you missed appearing on one of my favorite shows...30 Rock. I have also been too busy to do justice to my blog, but with all the rain we are getting here I would love to just sit on the floor and go through my books for a few days.
Give a scruff behind the ears to the two beasties that you live with for me.
xoxo