Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yaawwwn....

Also snore.

I am bored out of my wits. Last week there were things happening, but this week (so far) is a total, dead blank.

Last week we had a couple of old family friends staying for a couple of days, and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and niece and nephew turned up on Tuesday for a family get together, which was fun. Then on Friday night there was a birthday gathering in Williamsburg...but since then, absolutely nothing.

By the way, in re Williamsburg, how on earth do people who live there get anywhere? I basically knew where I was going (the Radegast Beer Hall, which has amazing bratwurst), but I got off at the wrong end of the station, so I was a block or so off the route I took to get there last time. Naturally, I stopped people to ask directions (being a female and not a male), and none of them knew what I was talking about. Now, I wasn't asking people who were obviously on dates, because dating pairs have a tendency to be wrapped up in each other and not their surroundings. No, I was stopping people with strollers and bags of groceries...and not one single one of them could tell me where North 3rd Street was. And I was a block away from it! I mean, I live in Greenwich Village, which has a street plan (if you could call it a plan) totally different than the rest of the city...New York is on a grid, which you can clearly see on a map. If you look at a map of Greenwich Village, it looks more like a plate of spaghetti (this is probably why I can find my way around London, which has the same sort of plan - i.e., nonexistent). But when tourists stop me to ask directions, I know what to tell them, for God's sake - I live here. The Brooklynites had absolutely no idea...I kept wondering how these people people ever found their way home...or if they did.

So now that my Population Council job has ended, which it did a week ago last Friday (they were very sweet...thanked me effusively and gave me a little tote bag), I have absolutely nothing to do...of course, I haven't checked in with any of my three temp agencies, since I'm now on full unemployment and just didn't feel like it, but I think I will, because the boredom is really getting to me. It's not that I actually feel like getting up at 5 am to do one of those rotten business seminars or whatever, but on the other hand, I seem to be sleeping my life away here. Get up, eat, read papers, go take nap, get up, play with computer, eat, go to bed. Oh, yawn, yawn, yawn.
The only interesting thing I've done is watch the Oscars, which I enjoyed thoroughly. This may, of course, be because I have an enormous crush on Hugh Jackman, but come on...who can resist the dresses, the idiocy, the possibility of an upset? Not that there was any mystery about this year. I must say, though, that I'm in love with the whole Slumdog Millionaire crew...really, have you ever seen a happier bunch of people? And rightfully so...and I was charmed by the idea of them bringing as many of the people involved in the movie to the Oscars as possible, including those adorable kids. That's the way to do it.

Ah, well. I'll take the rest of this week to slump around, then on Thursday I'll email all my agencies and announce that I'm one more ready to be a good little worker bee...unless, of course, one of the nine million movies I've submitted myself for comes through, although casting directors are ignoring me in droves at the moment. Oh, and I've got an audition next week for the Williamstown, Mass. Theatre Festival - God bless them, they're doing a season absolutely full of roles for...um..."experienced" actors. Yeah, all right, middle aged. It would be nice to get away from NY for at least a few weeks this summer, other than my kid's birthday, which she seems to be having in France. Of course, she won't pay me, and Williamstown will. We shall see.

Love, Wendy

No comments: